Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Ultimate Service Experience

“Good morning Mr. Hamilton,” she called as I walked through the front door. (I was pleasantly surprised she remembered my name, considering this was only my second visit to this cleaners.)

“How are you today“? she asked in a voice full of sincerity. It was the same tone and manner my grandmother would use. Then she paused and waited earnestly for my reply. (What do I do now? Is she being polite or does she want a true answer?)

“I am ok” I stammered. (My standard response seemed meaningless to her genuine concern for my well-being)

“I am glad” was her response. ( It felt strange to have this person show concern for me as a person not just a customer)

“Excuse me one moment while I get your clothes” she stated, smiling broadly, and then quickly turning to the rear of the shop. (Surprisingly, she did not ask for my claim ticket. Was I the only customer this business had?)

Upon returning, she explained they had found a button missing on my coat. Apparently, the sigh and frown which I displayed were quite evident.(My first thought - would the missing button be obvious when I wore the suit to the job interview tomorrow?)

“Mr. Hamilton, we went ahead and replaced the button for you at no charge” she explained, in a tone that implied it was their privilege to serve me. (A business was taking initiative and exceeding my expectations. Boy, was I impressed)

“I’ll will be right with you Ms. Brown” she said, smiling enthusiastically to the lady who had just entered the shop.(There went that theory - that I was their only customer)

When she handed me my receipt she said “Thank You“, with a passion that portrayed true appreciation for me being her customer. (By this time I was looking for the hidden cameras. I was convinced I was on a episode of Hidden Camera or in The Twilight Zone).

As I turned to the door she said “we will see you next week” flashing a radiant, contagious smile. (The image of this shop owner anxiously, with child-like enthusiasm waiting for me to bring her more dirty clothes was too much for me to bear. The smile started bubbling deep within me, by the time I reached the sidewalk, laughter came tumbling out while I was smiling from ear to ear.)

Then it hit me, I had just witnessed the ultimate in customer service excellence. In one visit, this shop had created such a memorable, unique experience that not only was I completely satisfied, but anxious to return with more dirty laundry. This business is well on their way to earning my lifetime loyalty as a customer.

“The one thing I’ve learned from my experience is that no matter what you sell, you’ve got to sell satisfaction” - Stanley Marcus, co-founder of Neiman Marcus

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great story showing the true basis of great customer service!