Monday, January 5, 2009

Eight Minutes to Lose a Customer

During the month of December, our credit union has a policy that allows a member to defer their December loan payment. It is called a Christmas extension. This year my wife and I decided to exercise this option.

During the past 15 years, that we have been members of this credit union, my wife has done the banking. I can count on one hand the times I have entered the bank. Due to her recent surgery dealing with the credit union fell on me. No problem I thought. I will call them and arrange everything over the phone. Save myself some time and a trip across town.

Ring, ring, ring. Finally, their phone was answered by that annoying mechanical voice that is inherent in every automated phone system. The computerized recorded message telling me, “You have reached …Please listen carefully for our options have changed. If you know your parties….”. In frustration I pushed zero for the operator, praying I would reach a live person. Mission accomplished. The operator answered in a hurried, but semi-friendly greeting. I asked to speak to one of the loan officers. The operator’s reply was, “Please hold”.

Why do businesses use an automated phone system? Does this system save them enough money or increase their efficiency enough to warrant the aggravation, frustration, and hassle that customers experience when dealing with an automated phone system? Why can’t a live, upbeat, friendly person answer the phone? What message are these systems sending to your customer? Do they convey the impression your company is easy to do business with and cares about customer service?

One minute turned into two minutes, and then stretched to five minutes while I patiently waited on hold. During this time a recording repeatedly interrupted the deafening silence every minute with the informative message of,”Thank you for your patience. We are doing everything we can to make your wait shorter. We will be right with you”. After eight very long minutes the operator came back on the line and said, “The loan officer has someone in their office, would I like to leave them a voicemail“? Calmly, my patience almost totally diminished, I told her to transfer I would leave a message. The message to the loan officer was short and sweet. I asked her to call me, to discuss our loan.

My mind pictured the vivid image of a extremely crowded bank, filled with long lines, a long wait and hurried employees. I had hope with a phone call to the credit union would avoid this trip. One hour later and no return phone call from the loan officer, off I went, across town, dreading the hassle which awaited me.

Upon entering the front door, on my left were the teller counters, one my right were several new enclosed glass offices, and directly in front was a circular workstation with a receptionist. As I approached the receptionist I looked around. Where were long lines, the hurried employees? One person waited in line for a teller, one person waited (I assume) for someone from the offices. This made no sense. Why was I put on hold for eight minutes if they were not busy? Why hadn’t a loan officer returned my call? My answer was forthcoming.

Waiting for the receptionist to finish assisting the customer in front of me, I observed her answering two incoming phone calls and placing both of them on hold. When she was finished, totally ignoring the blinking lights on her phone she ask me, “how can I help you“? Instead of asking for a loan officer I told the receptionist I was interested in a Christmas loan extension. After giving her our loan number she quickly produced a form for me to sign. Transaction completed in less than five minutes. Leaving her desk I watch her nonchalantly answer the waiting calls.

Leaving the credit union, frustration engulfed me. Was the receptionist’s lack of phone skills due to improper training or was this an example of the credit union’s underlying attitude toward customer service?

We had joined this credit union 15 years earlier to receive attentive, friendly, personalized service. We were tired of being treated as a replaceable number with our large, national bank. We wanted to have a personalized relationship with our bank. Through the years (and numerous accounts later, including checking, savings, car loans, personal loans, we even encouraged our children to join.) I thought we had established a mutual relationship. Apparently, the relationship had changed. This latest example of poor customer service was the latest in a series of incidents which began about 12 months ago. This encounter further illustrated that this credit union now views each member as a replaceable commodity.

Eight minutes is all it took this business to lose a valuable customer. Is your business losing long-term, loyal, valuable customers from 6, 7 or 8 minutes of poor service?

By the way, two weeks have past and still no return phone call from a loan officer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Preaching to the choir on this one. I "enjoy" automated systems on a daily basis, and get tossed around from one person to another countless times in a week. Spot on, good sir!